After making weed butter for 10 years, this recipe has been adapted to include the best methods from many sources. This will make the best cannabis butter recipe you will find, if you follow these simple steps.
What Do I Need?
From start to finish, you will need:
- 1 pound of butter (can also be done with shortening, but the quality is much better and the process is much easier with butter)
- 14 to 20 grams of cannabis (you can use leaves and stems, but it will be more potent and better flavored with buds)
- A few cups of distilled or filtered water
- A large funnel
- Parchment paper
- A cookie sheet
- A medium sauce pan
- An 8 cup or larger storage container
- A spoon for stirring and a butter knife for scraping
How Long Will This Take?
This method will take approximately three and a half hours, plus cooling time. Make this butter the day before you need it for best results.
How Do I Do It?
Step 1 – Releasing the THC in your cannabis
- Preheat your oven to 250° F
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Spread your buds out evenly on the parchment paper
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and set a timer for 20 minutes
- When the timer goes off, gently stir around the buds and place the cookie sheet back in the oven
- Set a timer for another 20 minutes
- Remove the pan, shut off the oven, and let cool
Step 2 – Preparing the ingredients
- Pour the filtered or distilled water into the sauce pan
- Unwrap the butter and gently place it in the sauce pan
- Grind the cooled cannabis coarsely with a coffee or herb grinder
Step 3 – Extracting the cannabinoids
- Warm the water and butter gently over low heat until the butter starts to melt
- Sprinkle in the ground cannabis and crystals
- Keep simmering (do NOT boil) for 3 hours (160° to 190° F), a double boiler may be useful in keeping your butter at the proper temperature
Step 4 – Strain the mixture
- Line the funnel with two or three layers of cheesecloth
- Slowly pour cooled mixture through your filter device (you can let it go into a separate jar or container if it will sit in the opening). DO NOT squeeze the cheesecloth. Let it drip
- Pour the strained mixture into the storage container and refrigerate. Cover loosely
- Wait at least 1 hour
Step 5 – Cleaning the butter
- Using the butter knife, pry the layer of butter gently off the top of the water and sediment
- Flip the disc of butter over and scrap off any plant matter and gooey material
- Wrap your butter in parchment paper, and refrigerate for later use (can be frozen)